Friday, February 1, 2013

Florida's Sun Coast...

I've been very fortunate in my travels. My wife and I make it a point to go somewhere each year, to relax and unwind, to explore and to broaden our horizons. Even in lean years, we would manage a long weekend to drive to the coast or a quick getaway to see the drag boat races in the Texas Hill Country.

When we lived in the Dallas Metroplex, we learned how to be local tourists. There were so many things to do. From the art museums and galleries to the zoos, parks and arboretum, there was always something to explore. We enjoyed musicals at Fair Park and the holiday Pops with the Dallas Symphony. We learned to enjoy what we had around us.

And then we moved to the Sun Coast. The area south of Tampa from Bradenton through Sarasota and down to Venice is a great place to vacation, especially if you can do it year-round.

The most obvious draw is the beach. Siesta Key Beach has been named the number one beach in America, and deservedly so. The sand is soft and clean, the water is clear and mostly gentle, and the beach is big and well maintained. Even on crowded Summer weekends, the beach doesn't feel crowded. We love to walk along and look for sand dollars, although this isn't the best shelling beach around. Siesta Key Beach is the best, in my opinion, but by no means the only one around. Turtle Beach is nice and is less crowded.

Up the coast, in Bradenton Beach and Anna Maria Island, there are nice beaches that are much quieter. And a trip down to Venice will lead you to Caspersen Beach, where with just a little luck you'll find million-year-old fossilized shark's teeth.

Sarasota has a knack for holding street festivals. We've been to three different art festivals in downtown Sarasota, including one dedicated to chalk art on the streets - the theme this year was the circus. In addition, the Ringling museum is renowned for world-class art. Add in the galleries around town and there is enough to keep any art lover busy.  The weekly farmer's markets in Sarasota and Bradenton feel like street parties.

Downtown, there is Main street. For several blocks from Washington to past Pineapple there are funky little shops and restaurants that are a lot of fun to look in. We enjoy claiming downtown Sarasota as our home town. That's how it felt the very first time we wandered downtown.

The weather here is beautiful. Year round, it's nice to drive around town with the windows down. It gets warm, but not unbearably hot. And the Winter is quite pleasant. Even when the Gulf is too cool for swimming, the beach is inviting. Or if that's not your thing, a walk in the park with your sweetie could be just the thing. I know it is for me.

Sure, there is a lot for Tampa/Clearwater/St. Pete to offer. And Fort Myers, Sanibel and Naples are also beautiful. The entire Gulf Coast of Florida has something to offer everyone. But the Sun Coast has just the right mix of laid-back sophistication for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

My name is KC Owens, I’m a college student and I love to travel! While cruising the Internet, I found your site and really enjoyed reading your posts. I have been to countries all over Europe with just my backpack and a camera. Since I am a college student and I have significant bills, it can be difficult to find ways to travel the world. However, I have done this several times, with less than ten pounds of luggage and while on a college dime!

I was hoping that you would allow me to write a post for your site to share my tips and tricks with your readers. I put a lot of time into my traveling, it is my biggest passion and I would love to inspire others by sharing my stories, mistakes and triumphs. I look forward to hearing from you!

Best,

KC Owens