Thursday, May 14, 2009

Bring the Tropics Home...

I love the summer.

I love the heat and the colors and the sounds. I love going barefoot and shirtless. I love working outside and cooking outside and playing outside. Most of all, I love the smells.

The smells of summer seem to reach deep into my brain. I smell jasmine and I remember summertime, 1970. Songs come floating on the wind, from almost four decades ago. I can see the fort in the backyard and the kids from down the street.

When I smell plumeria, I'm back in the airport on Maui. I'll never forget my wife's reaction when we walked through the open-air airport and smelled the flowers - the smell is everywhere, and every time I smell it I go back.

When I smell Coppertone suntan lotion, I go back to the beach. When I smell watermelon, it's the Fourth of July again. Other seasons have their smells: There's cut-grass and wildflowers in the spring. Winter has evergreens and apple-cinnamon. Autumn is damp leaves and pumpkin pie. But, for me, none of these reach as deep as the smells of summer.

This is why I pick up plants every chance I get. My porch is full with tropical plants. Just last week I bought a miniature yellow hibiscus to go with the two pink ones sitting out there. The jasmine is blooming and I can smell it whenever I go out. I love the greens and pinks and yellows and whites. My plants bring the tropics to my porch, which is where I love to be.

Summer has sounds, also, especially music. They aren't as strong as the smells, but they are close. I hear Seals & Crofts, The Eagles, CSN and Three Dog Night. Songs from these artists take me back to when summer was freedom - out of school, too young to work...just a couple of chores and hours at the pool.

Honestly, I'm happy year-round. I have a loving family who I enjoy spending time with. I have a great job and I have interests to occupy me. We are clothed and fed and reasonably comfortable. Every season has its beauty. But if I had to choose, I'd say I'm a summer-kindof guy.

1 comment:

jlynn said...

Ahhh those flowers, that smell, that airport! Man would I ever move there in a heartbeat! That has to be one of the top ten most amazing things in my life! You and the kids are at the top of course! I love You!