Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The end of a journey...

Life is all about journeys. Some of them are long and arduous, some are brief, some are focused and some are some are meandering. We've been told and told, "It's not the destination, it's the journey." There is a lot of truth to this, though there is a lot to be said for the destination as well. The destination is where we sit and look back on the trip, pick through the memories and catalog our souvenirs. The destination can mark the end of a long path. It can also mark the beginning of a new one.

But the journey is what is most memorable. It is during the journey that we grow and learn. During the journey we have many choices in which way to go, how to get where we are headed (I started to say "where we are going", but they aren't always the same thing). Often we are not afforded the chance to undo or redo parts of the journey - that's okay. It's the journey that makes us who we are.

Enough philosophizing...Today is something of a destination for me. Yesterday I completed the requirements for my Bachelor of Science degree in Software Engineering. It was quite a journey. It was almost solid - nearly every day for 2 years. I'm glad to be at the destination, but I'm especially thankful for the journey. I met some very smart people who pushed me at times, and dragged me along at others. I've come out of it with potential life-long friends. I had instructors that challenged me and others that encouraged me greatly. In the end, it was a good experience for me.

I'm thankful to my family for putting up with me - all my late nights and daily work. My stress over projects that weren't going well. My school commitments that forced them to be flexible in my family time. I couldn't have done it without all their love and support.

So now it's on to a new journey. I'm not sure where it will lead; not even sure what it will look like. But I know for certain that we'll enjoy the trip.

1 comment:

jlynn said...

Well I do have to say that I am glad it's over. But I am so PROUD of you, I know how badly you wanted to get this finished and behind you. And it was worth all the time it took for you to accomplish it. Again I really am so proud of you and your GPA.. lol how come you didn't put that in there? Love You, me